So I have been trying this whole vegan thing recently as well as omitting sugars from my diet…processed sugars at least. I am a woman, and I do have a sweet tooth. Even though I have a taste for sweets, I want to enjoy them in healthy ways. One thing that I have been really enjoying is making different flavor dessert bites. They are made with natural ingredients and are typically raw and vegan. I start off with dates as the substance that binds the balls together, and add in a variety of other ingredients such as nuts and fruits. They are fun to experiment with.
When I share recipes, I like to do my research on the ingredients to find out the health benefits behind them. This bit of information furthers my interests in clean eating, knowing that I am making good decisions for my body. A few days ago I decided to throw these babies together, Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Power Bites. They only have four ingredients and are so simple to make. Instead of cocoa powder for the chocolaty goodness, I added chocolate protein powder, which gives me an extra dose to add to my total intake for the day. It is recommended that the average woman have around 46 grams of protein a day, while the average man should get 56 grams. The other three main ingredients all have health benefits as well. Dates have so many amazing health benefits. They are high in fiber and are a natural laxative. They also are high in iron, making them good for someone who is suffering from anemia. Since they are high in natural sugars, they give a quick burst of energy, giving the “power” to these bites. The craisins provide more fiber and add to the sweetness factor of these bites. Lastly, the pistachios have antioxidant properties in them. They are also full of protein and good fats, as well as having a lot of copper, which aids in the absorption of iron from foods. A side note: I did not realize that when choosing these ingredients, that they were not only the perfect combo in taste, but in health benefits as well! This is a high fiber, high protein, high energy snack that is great for people with anemia. I should have really called them “Poopy Protein Power Anemia Bites”, but that just doesn’t roll off the tongue very nicely now does it?
Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Power Bites
(makes 8-10 bites)
- 1 cup of pitted dates
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios
- 1/4 cup craisins
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (if you are going vegan, here is a good brand)
1. Add 1 cup dates to a blender and pulse until the dates become tiny bits
2. Add 1/2 cup pistachios and pulse until chopped.
3. If the substance is too hard, add a dash (around 1/2 tbsp or less) of liquid such as almond milk, coconut creamer, soy milk, or water to the mixture. You don’t want it too runny, or else the balls won’t hold their shape.
4. Mix in the protein powder.
5. Scoop out around 1-2 tbsp of the mixture. Take a few craisins and add to the mix. Roll into a bite-sized ball.
6. Repeat the previous step until all the dough is used up.
7. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before enjoying!